Sunday, October 30, 2011

Current Reading List


Has my brain melted post Frieze? As a break before I go to Turin to Artissima for the first time I have been diving into art-affiliated books with gusto. This is what I am currently reading:

Capitalist Realism by Mark Fisher
Recommended by Charlie Woolley and probably one of the most delightful and spot on books I've read. Everyone should read this.

Digital Folklore ed by Olia Lialina and Dragan Espenschied
Great introduction by Cory Arcangel. There arent enough books on this vein of art... (something I hope to rectify).

Judgement and Contemporary Art Criticism ed by J Khonsary and M O'Brian
A series of essays about the purpose of people like me. There this strange flurry of focus on people who write about art at the moment. My judgement is currently being reserved on the point of it all.... still an interesting read in places

Where Art Belongs by Chris Kraus
the semiotext(e) books are so well designed that I get a bit excited just holding one of these. This is really a selection of writings on different art subjects. It isnt Bob Nickas' 'Theft Is Vision' but enjoying it anyway.

Collage Culture by Mandy Kahn, Aaron Rose and Brian Roettinger
I was lucky to do a really fascinating Q&A after a reading of the book in London. Too many ideas to mention here but the heart is an attack against a mindless regurgitation of art's past.

1Q84 by Haruki Murakami
Parts 1 and 2 of this mammoth hardback have been devoured. Part 3 will be attacked soon. A fictional respite from all this non fiction.

No comments: